INSTAGRAM. Love it, hate it, or hate to love it… it’s the social media platform that has been dominating the marketing world for years and still, going into 2024 is no different.
As we all begin planning our marketing strategies for next year, it’s important to look at what’s been working in 2023.
Here’s what my team and I have noticed have been working on Instagram right now… and how YOU can leverage these strategies for your own business! Let’s dive in.
How Do You Know What’s Working?
User engagement is a primary factor in knowing what’s working on Instagram. The more users engage with your content (likes, comments, shares, saves), the more likely your content will be shown to them and their followers.
Basically, high engagement signals to Instagram that your content is valuable.
Another factor is recency. Instagram favors fresh, recent posts, and users are more likely to see new content at the top of their feeds. The algorithm also considers the user’s relationship with the content creator. If a user regularly engages with your posts, your content is more likely to be shown to them.
Strategy #1: Post Instagram Reels
Heading into 2024, Instagram’s algorithm is definitely prioritizing short, engaging Reels (especially using trending audio!)
I know, creating Reels can be time-consuming and frustrating, but the results are worth it. I recently made 30 Reels in just four days and saw incredible success during a launch.
So, my advice is to embrace Reels and find ways to streamline the creation process, such as using ChatGPT to come up with idea generating, utilizing shared folders and other people’s templates, and batch-working as much as you can.
Strategy #2: Utilize Chatbot Integration
This isn’t new to the Goal Digger Podcast, if you’ve listened to the show you know I’m obsessed with this marketing strategy! If this is brand new to you, a chatbot integration is an automated message or funnel that is triggered by a keyword that you choose.
Not only does this give a more frictionless experience for your follower (meaning they don’t have to click off of your post, find your profile, click the link in your profile and then navigate to whatever it is you want them to)–it also helps boost your engagement because Instagram sees you in the DMs interacting with your followers and sees your followers interacting with you.
We started using this strategy a little over a year ago and at the time of this recording, here are our current stats:
- Revenue: We’re at a little over $1.6M!
- New Emails: 43,524
- Total Emails (this includes people who may have unsubscribed or are disengaged from your email list and reactivated as a result of your chat funnels): 60,819
You can set up these chat triggers to get visitors to follow your page, to send people your latest podcast episode, to deliver a freebie, to sign up for a webinar, to give you more insight into what they want or need… the opportunities are truly endless.
You can learn more about our Manychat automation by DMing me “CHAT” on Instagram and start using this game-changing automation for your business!
Strategy #3: Make Your Feed Less Polished, More Real
Whether it’s using B-roll for your content which is really just simple behind the scenes content or sharing real life snapshots into your day, I feel like the tables have turned from super clean and polished to more real life.
People want to see the real you, the behind-the-scenes moments, and the messiness of life. So, don’t be afraid to show up without makeup or share snapshots of your daily life. Authenticity builds a deeper connection with your audience!
Here’s some places for you to get more “real” on Instagram:
- Stories: Sharing 60-seconds of your life each day on Instagram stories – letting people into your life, your work, what’s going on for you. It’s a way to share not only the highlights but also the mundane, spontaneous, and even messy aspects of their day-to-day routines.
- Reels: Take BTS content of your day on your iPhone – it doesn’t have to be glamorous but let people into your daily life!
- Feed: Gone are the days of making your feed look like a perfect magazine… don’t over-think your grid, because people aren’t looking at it!
Strategy #4: Leverage “Hooks” In Your Content
Hooks are attention-grabbing statements or questions that entice people to watch your content or read your captions. Using hooks in your content and captions will help captivate your audience and keep them engaged.
Below are 15 hooks you can use in your content; hopefully they’ll give you some good content ideas!
- “The secret to” (Ex: The secret to keto dieting isn’t what you think)
- “The EXACT way I’ve” (Ex: Exactly how I’ve grown 1,000 followers in 30 days)
- “What no one tells you about…” (Ex: What no one tells you about the first 24 hours with a newborn)
- “Unpopular opinion about…” (Ex: Unpopular opinion alert: British food isn’t nearly as bad as people say!)
- “This is how I (result) in (timeframe) (Ex: This is how I lost 10 pounds in 3 months without crazy dieting)
- I don’t know who needs to hear this but…. (Ex: I don’t know who needs to hear this, but you CAN make money from a podcast!)
- Do this instead of that. (Ex: Stop saying ‘link in bio,’ do this instead…)
- Reminder: Share a reminder (Ex: Reminder: there are people less qualified than you doing what you do want to do.)
- This (BLANK) changes the game. (Ex: This ChatGPT prompt changes the game)
- I still see people wasting time doing THIS. (Ex: I still see photographers wasting time editing galleries without using presets)
- Steal my secret strategy to (desired result.) (Ex: Steal my secret strategy to double your email list)
- If your goal is to (insert goal) you need to stop doing (what they are doing) (Ex: If your goal is to get organized, you need to stop buying more planners you won’t use!)
- Your step-by-step game plan to get (insert desired result.) (Ex: Your step-by-step game plan to get more done in less time)
- Things I refuse to do anymore and what I do instead (Ex: I refuse to grocery shop anymore. I use meal kits instead!)
- What I wish I knew when I started (doing what you’re doing) (Ex: What I wish I knew when I started selling online courses…)
Strategy #5: Invite in Dialogue
Active engagement with your Stories and direct messages can signal a strong connection with your followers, which can influence the visibility of your content in their feeds.
Gone are the days where you’re just talking AT people and let’s usher in a new movement where we’re talking WITH people. So, what does this mean for you?
You want to be intentional with your approach to invite people to dialogue AND be prepared to respond when they actually communicate back with you, whether if that’s by asking questions, seeking advice, or sparking discussions with stickers in your Story.
Respond thoughtfully to comments and DMs, and make your followers feel heard and valued. Instagram values strong connections, so the more you engage with your audience, the more visibility your content will receive.
I hope you found these insights valuable and actionable for your own Instagram journey!
Remember, the social media landscape is ever-evolving, and staying on top of the latest trends and tactics can give you the competitive edge you need. So, keep experimenting, engaging with your audience, and adapting to the dynamic world of Instagram.