Question for you! Do you know what ingredients are in your makeup? It might feel like a silly question (or you might be thinking: there’s no way I could pronounce those suckers!) Honestly, I get it. You might be wondering why it’s important to know the ingredients in your makeup. Well, here’s the deal: some ingredients in makeup can be harmful to your health, like parabens and phthalates. Others can cause skin irritation or allergies. And let’s not forget about the environment – some ingredients, like plastic microbeads, can be harmful to wildlife and ecosystems.
Your skin is your largest organ and it absorbs what you put on it. Knowing what’s in your makeup allows you to make more informed decisions about the products you use and helps you avoid potentially harmful ingredients. It can also help you choose products that align with your values and preferences, and that are more environmentally friendly. All in all, it’s just a good idea to be aware of what you’re putting in and on your body!
My 5 Minute Make Up Routine
Let’s be honest, I definitely don’t wear makeup every day and on the days I do, I usually have a whopping 5-minutes to get it on before I’ve got to run off to the next thing (full disclosure, most of the time I’m doing my makeup while Drew drives us somewhere, I’ve nailed the car make up routine, bumps and all!) I have a few minor boxes to tick which thankfully can be done in the 5 minutes I usually have: minimalist makeup, simple, and convenient (and the best part is, all the products I use have clean ingredients!)
Here’s my 9-product lineup:
If you’re doing the math and wondering how the heck I get nine products on my face in under 5 minutes, don’t overthink it! I am quick and I’ve timed myself over and over again! These are fast and easy steps with products that I swear by!
01. Primer: I used to want to skip this step, but primer helps create a smooth, even base for makeup. It improves the look and longevity of makeup by filling in pores and fine lines, creating a more even texture, and helping makeup stay in place for longer periods of time. This primer honestly feels like skincare and it’s the perfect first step of my quick process!
02. Foundation: I have tried just about every “clean” foundation out there and I’ve liked some but never LOVED one… until this one. I remember the first day I tried it, I texted ten friends to get it. It was the first foundation that was buildable (meaning more coverage for where you need it) and it gives an air-brush finish that actually lasts all day. I have not found a product better than this, dare I say it’s life-changing?
03. Bronzer: I’m a Minnesota gal who craves sunshine but wears a LOT of SPF so bronzer is my BFF to capture that glow without the harmful rays. A little of this goes a long way! I usually dust under my cheekbones, my hairline, my temples, the sides of my nose, and my jaw to not just add warmth but a little contouring!
04. Blush: I was recently watching an Instagram makeup guru talk about how bronzer and blush are like the instant facelift and to not skip these steps — so, sign me up! A little rosy cheek is a necessity in my book and for the ten seconds it takes to achieve it, it’s worth the step! Just a tiny bit on the apples of my cheeks and voila! Also, if you’re in a mega rush, this cream stick can double as a lip tint!
05. Brow Pencil: I already have full brows but even these dark brows have some gaps that need filling. Pro-tip here, grab a pencil that’s a few shades lighter than your brow hair tone to make it look more natural. I love that this pencil is all-natural (they are honestly really hard to find!) and it’s a little step with a big impact.
06. Brow Gel: Never in a million years did I think I’d be someone who gelled her eyebrow hairs into place and yet here I am. This brow gel not only helps brows stay put but it also helps strengthen and grow your brow hair (chalk that up as: words I never thought I’d say!) I absolutely love this product!
07. Eye Shadow: This is an area where I play a little more than the others. Somedays I just use bronzer on my lids but other days I pull out a palette and try and get a little fancy. I feel like the lighter tons really brighten and lift my eyes and the darker browns give more dimension!
08. Mascara: This is another area where I feel like I tested them all – to be honest, I still haven’t found a mascara I’m confident enough to absolutely swear by but I do have two favorites that I tend to gravitate towards (both are non-toxic!) This option is more of my everyday and just a quick hit and this one is another one that I use a lot!
09. Lipstick: If I made a list of “questions I get asked on Instagram daily” my lip colors would be up there! I love adding lipstick each day which makes me laugh because I used to tease my mom who would always use the rearview mirror to brighten her lips before we went anywhere… now I am turning into my mother! A pop of color on your lip makes you look alive, I swear!
Beautiful makeup doesn’t have to be hard (or take forever!) I’ve found that using products with clean ingredients makes my makeup feel more like skincare for my skin (and results in fewer breakouts or reactions!) Well, there you have it, my complete 5-minute makeup routine (that is easy peasy) and products that you feel good about using! Since I swapped to non-toxic products five years ago, I’ve been one who is always experimenting and testing so you don’t have to!
Want more of my top-picks from my fave bio-hacking products to the skincare I swear by?